Friday, June 15, 2012

Service With My Friend

Most of my travels, as you will see, are just for fun.  Sometimes, though, I like to work hard and help those in need. It gives me warm fuzzies and helps me forget about the challenges that I face each day.  This past week, my friend, Brad Mitchell, took me along to do some service projects.  He wrote me a special letter afterward and I want to share it with you all!


Dear Jett:

I wanted to take a moment and write you a small letter to express my appreciation for the wonderful little boy that you are.  I wore you shirt today and I believe that I had an opportunity to get to know you by doing so.  After I pulled your shirt on I thought to myself, “what a great day to wear this for Jett, it will be a day full of service and doing good things for good people.”  I did not realize how much this decision would impact my life.  I feel that I got to know you today.  It seemed to me that you had an opportunity to live vicariously through me for the day and that we could do anything that you wanted.  Little did I know that you would keep me so busy.  We traveled from service project to service project.  I was amazed at how many people needed our help today.  We cleaned the church, moved the Rushforth family, fed the missionaries lunch, moved water totes for the Sherman family, picked up furniture and delivered it for the Rushforth family, found and caught up with an old friend that helped us move the furniture, and cooked and made dinner for the missionaries.  In all we stared about 8:30 this morning and finished at 8:30 this evening.  It was a fantastic day and I am very grateful that I had an opportunity to share it with you.  I believe that you have a heart overflowing with love for others, hands skilled for service, and legs that carry a burning desire to share it with everyone you meet.  I know this because I felt it all day long.  I felt it more that I ever have in my life.  And now I have a new favorite shirt with the name of my friend that I have never met, but one that I am grateful and proud to wear on my chest.  I have a shirt that I never want to take off because I had experiences sent from our Heavenly Father and I know, that if I keep wearing it, more will come.  I feel like I have a purpose with your shirt and that is to help you experience all the good life has to offer.  Today was service to others and I look forward to seeing what tomorrow has in store.  All this has taught me a great lesson.  I have learned today, that work and school (“life”) can wait while we tend the Lords vineyard and somehow it will be just fine.  Jett, I want to share with you my greatest appreciation and admiration.  I believe that you have touched more lives in a few months than many of us could in 10 lifetimes.  Thank you, my friend; for all that you have shared with me.  I look forward to greater tomorrows and a hopeful opportunity to meet you in person.  Till then, God speed, and Adieu.

Your Friend,

Brad Mitchell







No comments:

Post a Comment